Sleep is so important and often the one thing that people don’t give time to. When you lack sleep everything in your daily life is affected.
Here’s my tips for getting a better night’s sleep…
- Use relaxation techniques – Breathing & yoga moves.
- Get into a bedtime routine – Introduce set sleeping & waking times to harmonise the body clock.
- Journal stressful thoughts that keep your mind jumping, prior to settling down to slumber.
- Eat the right foods – This will help you to beat any insomnia and regain a good pattern of sleep. Eating cherries is known to promote sleep as they contain naturally occurring melatonin, which regulates your day and night cycle. Consuming a banana prior to bedtime is good at reducing muscle cramps and inducing a good night’s sleep, because it contains lots of potassium and magnesium.
- Curb caffeine post 4pm.
- Limit the use of electronic devices post 8pm.
- If you are borderline insomnia, try using a holistic root product ‘Valerian’, to get you into a better sleeping pattern. Its known for its calming effects and is good for those suffering anxiety too.
- Limit negative thoughts prior to bed – “All is well” is the mantra to use every time your mind wonders and insists that you will not get a good night’s sleep.
Taking into account my suggestions above, my best advice for a good night’s sleep is to adhere to a balanced diet (including all the essential ingredients for the production of melatonin), to exercise regularly, and to clear the mind by putting pen to paper so that the mind is released of troubling thoughts prior to sleep.